Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Nehemiah Gives Up Everything To Go To Jerusalem

"In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of king Artaxerxes, I was doing my duty as cup bearer.  I took up the wine and gave it to the king.  I had never been sad before the king in the past.  So, the king said to me, 'Why do you look sad?  You don't look sick.  Is there something that bothers you?'
I became hesitant.  And I said, 'May the king live forever!  How could I afford not to be sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins and its gates are burned down?'  The king said to me, 'What do you want, then?'  I asked help of GOD from heaven and said to the king, 'If it seems good to the king and if he is pleased with my work, then may he send me to the land of Judah, to the city where my ancestors are buried, that I may rebuild it.'
The queen was sitting beside the king, and the king asked me, 'How long will you be gone?  When will you be back?'  I told him the date and he allowed me to leave.  And I said to the king, 'If it pleases the king, may you give me letters for the governors of the province at the other side of the River that I may travel to Judah; and also a letter to Asaph, the caretaker of the king's forest, for I will need wood for the gates of the citadel near the temple, for the walls of the city and for the house where I shall live.'
The good hand of GOD was supporting me, so that the king gave me what I asked." - Nehemiah 2:1-8 
(Nehemiah asks and receives because he is not a nuisance, and his years of loyal service have earned him affection and esteem.  His discretion and initiative are underscored and his fervent words encourage skeptics whom he persuades.

Was it necessary to build the walls of Jerusalem?  In fact, more than the restoration, Scripture stresses the way it was achieved: by calling for everyone's cooperation, Nehemiah builds up the morale of the Jerusalem community.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment