Tuesday, April 07, 2020

YAHWEH Called Me From MY Mother's Womb

"Listen to me, O islands,
pay attention, people from distant lands.
YAHWEH called me from my mother's womb;
HE pronounced my name before I was born.
HE made my mouth like a sharpened sword.
HE hid me in the shadow of HIS hand.
HE made me into a polished arrow
set apart in HIS quiver.
HE said to me, 'You are Israel, MY servant,
Through you I will be known.'
I have labored in vain, 'I thought, and spent my strength for nothing.'
Yet what is due me was in the hand of YAHWEH,
and my reward was with my GOD.
I am important in the sight of YAHWEH,
and my GOD is my strength.

And now YAHWEH has spoken,
HE who formed me in the womb to be HIS servant,
to bring Jacob back to HIM,
to gather Israel to HIM.
HE said: 'It is not enough that you be MY servant,
to restore the tribes of Jacob,
to bring back the remnant of Israel.
I will make you the light of the nations,
that MY salvation will reach to the ends of the earth.'"
- Psalm 49:1-6


(YAHWEH called me from my mother's womb.  These were Jeremiah's words [1:5].  All that follows can be interpreted both of the believing minority or of the one who fully lives in prophetic vocation.  Is the servant a single person, or is he a people of prophets?  The apostles of JESUS quickly understood that the present text applied first to HIM.  HE is the word and the two edged sword [Hebrews 4:12; Revelation 19:15].

Paul in turn will take for himself these verses: Galatians 1:15; Acts 13:47; 2 Corinthians 10:4, 12:8.  This double interpretation, personal and collective, should not surprise us for the unique Savior is never a lonely savior.  JESUS wanted to be identified with those who believe, who suffer and persevere to prepare for the salvation of the world.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment