Friday, April 03, 2020

David's Gratitude For Victory

"I love YOU, O YAHWEH, my strength.
YAHWEH is my rock, my fortress,
my deliverer and my GOD.
HE is the rock in whom I take refuge.
HE is my shield, my powerful savior, my stronghold.
I call on YAHWEH, who is worthy of praise: HE
saves me from my enemies!
A deadly flood surrounded me,
devilish torrents rushed at me;
caught by the cords of the grave,
I was brought to the snares of death.
But I called upon YAHWEH in my distress,
I cried to my GOD for help; and from HIS temple 
HE heard my voice,
my cry of grief reached HIS ears."
- Psalm 18:2-7


(Here, a picture of GOD, as the great master of creation, appears side by side with that of GOD, as the jealous guardian of HIS servant David, who was king enough to serve the King of kings.  For once we have no difficulties identifying the 'enemies.'  The stormy history of David is well known to us.  But the historical situation will not help.  Again we have to take the words to ourselves, and the 'enemies' we pray against have intangible arrows.  We need the shield of GOD and all the warlike but spiritual apparatuses that St. Paul asks for: 'the shield of faith, and the sword of the Spirit, that is the Word of GOD' [Ephesians 6:16-17].)

On-Site

No comments:

Post a Comment