Friday, November 06, 2015

The Crafty Steward

Hello! and happy TGIF to all of us; and, it's just 49 days to go before Christmas, GUYS.  Our first-thing-first this Friday:
 
THE GOOD NEWS (06 November 2015)
"At another time JESUS told HIS disciples, 'There was a rich man whose steward was reported to him for fraudulent service.  He summoned the steward and asked him:  'What is this I hear about you?  I want you to render an account of your service for it is about to be terminated.' 
The steward thought to himself:  'What am I to do now?  My master will surely dismiss me.  I am not strong enough to do hard work, and I am ashamed to beg.  I know what I will do:  I must make sure that when I am dismissed, there will be some people to welcome me into their house.'
So he called his master's debtors one by one.  He asked the first who came:  'How much do you owe my master?  The reply was:  A hundred jars of oil.  The steward said:  Here is your bill.  Sit down quickly and write there fifty.  To the second he put the same question:  How much do you owe?  The answer was:  A hundred measures of wheat.  Then he said:  Take your bill and write eight hundred.
The master commended the dishonest steward for his astuteness.  For the people of this world are more astute in dealing with their own kind than are the people of light." - Luke 16:1-8
(JESUS is not concerned about condemning the improper actions of the administrator, but rather points out his cleverness in providing for his future:  this man was able to discover in time that friends last longer than money.  In the same way, in promoting a new way of living, the people of light must strip money of its halo as Supreme Good.  It seems that putting money in a safe place is the best way to assure our existence and our future.  On the contrary, JESUS tells us to use it and to exchange it without hesitation for something much more valuable such as bonds of mutual appreciation.
 
We are not owners but administrators of our wealth and we must administer it for the good of all.  Money is not a bad thing as long as we use it as a means to facilitate exchanges.  JESUS, however, calls it "unjust" [we use the word filthy] because money is not a true good [it is not money that makes as just before GOD]; and because it is impossible to accumulate money without failing in trust in the FATHER and without hurting our neighbors.
 
Money is something that people acquire and lose; it does not make anyone greater.  Therefore, money is not part of the goods that are our own.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment