Thursday, September 12, 2024

The Hound Of Heaven

 "O YAHWEH, YOU know me:
YOU have scrutinized me.
YOU know when I sit and when I rise;
beforehand, YOU discern my thoughts.
YOU observe my activities and times of rest;
YOU are familiar with all my ways.

It was YOU who formed my inmost part
and knit me together in my mother's womb.
I thank YOU for these wonders YOU have done,
and my heart praises YOU, for YOUR marvelous deeds.

Search me, O GOD, and know my heart;
try me and know my thoughts.
See if my steps are going astray,
and lead me in YOUR eternal way." 
Psalm 139:1-3. 13-14. 23-24

(This wisdom meditation about the knowledge and the presence of GOD, perhaps, had its beginning in the face of the pressure of evildoers; someone has been unjustly accused, perhaps as idolatrous, and he appeals to GOD.  In this environment, he composes his poem.

The ways of GOD are unsearchable, HIS wisdom is an abyss [cf. Romans 11:33].  GOD gets close to us and embraces us, not to condemn us, but to guide our feet toward HIS love.  If we want to taste divine love and appreciate the dignity of man, it will do us good, to pray with this magnificent psalm.

In the closing verse 24, the psalmist wants to be led to eternal life.  Fortunately for us, JESUS tells us, 'Whoever believes has eternal life' [John 6:47] and again, 'I AM the way, the truth and the life; no one comes to the FATHER but through ME' [John 14:6].)

No comments:

Post a Comment