Saturday, March 19, 2022

I Live In A House Of Cedar But The Ark Of GOD Is Housed In A Tent

 "When the king had settled in his palace and YAHWEH had rid him of all his surrounding enemies, he said to Nathan the prophet, 'Look, I live in a house of cedar but the Ark of GOD is housed in a tent.'  Nathan replied, 'Do as it seems fit to you for YAHWEH is with you.'

But that very night, YAHWEH's word came to Nathan, 'Go and tell MY servant David, this is what YAHWEH says: Are you able to build a house for ME to live in?  I have not dwelt in a house since I brought the Israelites up from Egypt to the present day.  But I went about with a tent for shelter.  As long as I walked with the Israelites, did I say anything to the chiefs of Israel whom I commanded to shepherd MY people Israel?  Did I say: Why have you not built ME a house of cedar?'" - 2 Samuel 7:1-7 

(David thinks that if the king has a palace, why should GOD not have one?  GOD, who is greater, thinks otherwise and makes this known to HIS prophet Nathan.

In ancient times it was unthinkable that a capital city be without its temple and its palace.  GOD and the king were inseparable associates to ensure that good order of the state.  This concept strongly linked to the nature of religion will however be challenged by the Gospel.

GOD will be the one to make David a house.  House in Scripture refers to both persons and things belonging to someone.  David's "house" is his family, his servants, his counselors and officials.)

On-Site

No comments:

Post a Comment